CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 18, 2009

A New Adventure


I had quite an interesting weekend in regards to cooking...at one point the thought crossed my mind "why don't I chronicle all of my success and failures with cooking?" I used to cook quite and bit and actually really enjoy being in the kitchen but I have been tired of my same old recipes. Don't you feel that same way sometimes? I find these great recipes but think that I don't have enough time to make them. What I am finding out is that it takes a minute or two longer to cook something a little more complex and even more tasty. I am on an adventure to try something new several times a week. My hope is to post several recipes a week that maybe you can try too.

On Saturday I decided to go make a big haul at the grocery store and I came back with some really good stuff. I made baja tacos and grilled sweet potatoes on Saturday night and then made homemade chicken salad (a twist on Jana's recipe) on Sunday. Both were really great! I also had a unfortunate disaster...I read the brownie box wrong. I thought that 525 degrees was a little high to cook brownies but I did it anyway. After about 9 minutes the brownies were rock hard and black. Luckily I still had some time for the break off kind and my NHS officers got something sweet for our lunch meeting today. I am going to come back at some point and post the recipes for what I made this weekend. Here is what I made tonight though...ended up being really tasty and really easy to make. Just pulled together whatever I had in the pantry.

Ground Turkey Tortilla Bake

1 pound ground turkey (I used leftover from my tacos the night before)
1 can black beans, drained
1 can green chilies, small can
1/2 cup of salsa
1/2 cup of taco cheese
1/4 white onion, diced
5 6" corn tortillas, cut into strips
(other ideas: peppers, jalapenos, red beans, rotel, or anything else that sounds good!)

-Preheat oven to 375
-Spray a glass dish with Pam and line bottom of dish with tortilla strips
-Layer with half of the black beans, ground turkey, chilies, salsa, onions and cheese
-Place a layer of the remaining tortilla strips on top
-Layer with the remaining black beans, ground turkey, chilies, salsa, onions and cheese
-Bake for 30 min


2 comments:

  1. When I was 10 I was making brownies from the box. I saw 11/2 cups of water and instead of reading 1 and 1/2 cups I took a half cup measurer, filled it up 11 times and dumped it into the bowl. Those were moist brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm....hello Casey? Why didn't you tell me you had a blog? :)

    ReplyDelete